Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Lesson...beware of Obsession!

I have been meaning to write about my FANFUCKINGTASTIC experience at the Blue October concert. It was amazing, fun, life changing, tear jerking, and an all around soulful experience. Only true music lovers with a passion for certain artists's own passions would understand what I mean by that. Blue October is not a band meant only to entertain. It's a continuing story of survival by a man, Justin Furstenfeld, who suffers many of the same mental struggles as I do. So many identify with his words, as they speak for us and give us a face, without shame, showing our weaknesses and our strengths. They are also a great example of being pro-active about your mental health. There are no hidden "excuses" when Justin needs inpatient treatment for manic OR depressive issues. No shows are canceled for "exhaustion" or "illness". If he had to get help...he's is not afraid to say it! For this I ADORE them...it is perhaps somewhat of an obsession. But I am allowed a few obsessions, I am crazy too after all.

The purpose of this post is to list the lessons I learned from the show Saturday Night. While my heart was ripped from my chest and cheers and tears filled the night...this list is NOT what you might think it is about. As my BFF Missy and I arrived there were quick lessons to be learned on how to conduct yourself while standing (for 5 hours) on the floor, close to the stage, basking in the light that is Blue October:

Jada Learned:
  1. Arrive EARLY...
  2. Ignore your age...yes the pretty little giggly teeny boppers make you feel like a rusty old truck, but the event probably holds far more meaning to you, so fuck em..
  3. Take Drugs! A handful of Ibuprofen, a few Tylenol and smuggle a few more in your pocket for good measure. Your back, legs and feet will quickly REMIND you of your age far quicker than those teeny bobbers.
  4. Get dehydrated. You are not going to risk loosing your spot to pee...so if you are already dehydrated when you go in, you're good to go. You can grab a Gatoraide on your way out the door. Suck it up!
  5. Stand Your Ground! Which leads me to the next important list.
To those of you surrounding Jada and Missy:

  1. Don't even try it kid! When the crowd starts to get thick and you skinny little girls try to get to the stage to get close to Justin, back off! In the words of Missy to one such little bitch: "It ain't happening so keep on movin!" We will not budge from our prime spot so you can giggle at his "hotness" We didn't buy these tickets at the box office, we bought them the day they went on sale! We mean business!
  2. Don't heckle the Artists! After many polite attempts from others to sshh a drunken ass from heckling the opening act I had enough. My politeness only goes so far. "Would you SHUT THE FUCK UP?!" just loudly flew out of my mouth without a thought...met with cheers by other fed up fans. (Tourettes maybe?)
  3. Do NOT grab Missy to move her!  This was the funniest moment of all...some chick grabbed Missy by the shoulder, arrogantly saying "Ya, I'm that girl" (you know the ones who will stop at nothing to get to the front) Missy promptly shoved her back and informed her "Not tonight you're not!"
  4. We Love fellow obsessed fans! Even if you are a pretty little teenager. You can tell a true "Blue" fan. One who is moved to tears with you, connecting with the music and poetry. After getting to know one such young woman before the show, I helped shove her to the very front, at her very first show so Justin could reach her hand! The most touching part was that she ran to Missy and I for hugs of happiness, before she ran to her friends. A kindred spirit indeed. <3
 
 
While it took us 15 minutes of sitting in the car to feel our legs again...a night like that with my most kindred spirit and best friend are memories I will always treasure! All lessons aside, the greatest lesson of all was love. The concert was a gift from Missy for my birthday!! She bought them at the end of July just in time for my birthday in August. I love love love her!

0 comments:

Post a Comment